Problems writting a wrapper around linux' ssh command

Paul Magwene p.magwene at snet.net
Sun Mar 11 00:43:28 EST 2001

How about a wrapper around rsync (see http://rsync.samba.org/ )?  That would
take care of your site updating/mirroring.

rsync already provides a means of using ssh as the authentication method (by
setting
the environment variable RSYNC_RSH=/path/to/ssh ).  It looks like there's
already a REXX implementation and a perl wrapper ( see
http://rsync.samba.org/rsync/resources.html ), so you might have something
to work from in the initial design phase.

--Paul

"Gregory Jorgensen" <gregj at pobox.com> wrote in message
news:MzCq6.2024$54.2158 at www.newsranger.com...
: I'm not an ssh expert; I just know that it can authenticate without
prompting
: for a password, but only when the server and the client are configured
correctly
: with RSA keys. There are several versions of ssh, too. For more info I
refer you
: to:
:
: http://www.ssh.com/
:
: http://www.openssh.com/
:
: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sshtdg/
:
: I've seen quite a few web site updating/mirroring tools, but I don't know
any
: that use ssh/scp offhand. You may want to poke around freshmeat.
:
: http://freshmeat.net/
:
: Good luck.
:
:
: In article <p9ae89.imr.ln at 127.0.0.1>, gradha at iname.com says...
: >Er... I am new to ssh, so I don't even know what other methods there
are...
: >So far, I want to write a wrapper on top of sitecopy (a program which
allows
: >updating remote web sites through ftp) using ssh and scp to upload files
: >and make directory modifications. If there's any other way of doing this,
: >any help is very welcome. The only restriction is that the program I
write
: >from commandline or in background, accepts password only once, and logs
: >everything to files, so I thought wrapping around ssh and scp would be
the
: >easiest way.
: