Can anyone recomend a good intoduction to C...

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 10 17:47:41 EST 2001

"Kurt B. Kaiser" <kbk at shore.net> wrote in message
news:3AAA85C1.81FB90AA at shore.net...
> Alex Martelli wrote:
>
> > Your opinion is widespread, and self-perpetuating, but it has no
> > current technical basis for such tasks as Python extensions on Linux.
> >
> My understanding is that the C++ compiler for Linux is still
> considered to be unstable and that that is a significant technical
> factor for sticking with C?

Interesting; we developed and deployed C++ applications for years
on gcc on various Unix boxes around the mid-90's, and we had no
problems with "unstable compilers" (then, the market forced our
hand so we switched to Win/NT and VC++ -- now THAT was another
ball of wax at the time, though it HAS gotten better since).

It's no doubt possible that gcc has significantly worsened in the
last 5 or 6 years, but I'll confess that would really surprise me.

Alex