Editing Python source as XML?

Adam Logghe adaminthedomaindevtty.net
Sat Mar 3 01:15:45 EST 2001

It sounds like the feature you are really looking for is frequently called
"code folding".

I also find it to be very useful. You have many options in editors
unfortunately IDLE does not yet support code folding.

www.activestate.com has a project called "Komodo" which is written with a
combination of the Mozilla codebase and Python (my understanding is that
originally this was also to have a substantial portion written in Perl but
the developers could code so much faster in Python that Perl ended up as a
minor part). Despite some primitive features I have begun to use this
full-time, I find it the easiest to use for editing multiple files. I'm
hoping they start supporting XML folding as well.

www.activestate.com also supports "PythonWin" which is basically a Windows
specific enhanced version of  IDLE.

http://archaeopteryx.com/ is selling an Editor for Linux which also supports
code folding and looks very capable. It is available for free if you are
using it to develop free software.

I know I am  missing one more fairly significant editor, I am sure someone
else will point that out (extra points for not mentioning vi or emacs).

By the way, there are several shareware editors available that support
Python and code folding. Search on hotfiles.com

Adam
in the domain devtty.net