Is this a true statement? (fwd)

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Sat Jun 23 12:45:26 EDT 2001

David C. Ullrich wrote:
|I thought a device driver was just a file, hence a finite
|sequence of bytes. You can certainly use Python to write an
|arbitrary sequence of bytes to a file. No doubt it's much easier
|in C++ (or rather in typical implementations of C++?) to decide
|_what_ sequence of bytes to write to that file

One particular program would could write in Python is called a "C++
compiler".  While this would not be a particularly *easy* program to
write, you *could* write a script called 'gcc.py' that took all the same
arguments and input *data* files as a program called 'gcc', and produced
as a result bit-identical outputs.  This may be a somewhat cumbersome
approach to writing a device driver in Python, but...

Yours, Lulu...