Augmented Assignement (was: Re: PEP scepticism)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jun 29 12:13:29 EDT 2001

Bernhard Herzog <bh at intevation.de> writes:

> Augmented assignment doesn't actually offer anything that couldn't have
> been done with explicit method calls, at least as far as in-place
> modification is concerned, because under the covers it actually is a
> method call. Explicit is better than implicit.

Sorry, I don't understand why people can seriously argue *against*
augmented assignment.  It just baffles me.  What kind of Spartan
upbringing did you have?  Scheme?  Really, I just don't get it.  This
was by far the most asked-for feature ever!  And that quote "explicit
is better than implicit" quote is pretty tired by now.  It can be used
against a whole lot of Python features.