Tkinter and TkTable

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Mon Jun 25 18:49:16 EDT 2001

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Schaefer, F. wrote:

> I'm in need of a table widget to display some query data. There is this
> popular TkTable Widget, which I would like to use. Does anybody have
> any idea howto include it into Tkinter (and why it isn't already
> included).

I'm no expert on things Tcl/Tk/Tkinter, but I suspect you have two

1) if your TkTable is dynamically loadable inside a Wish, you can probably
use Tkinters Tk call interface to issue the appropriate command to load
the TkTable module.  You then either use the call interface to drive the
widget, or create a suitable subclass of a Tkinter widget that wraps the
call interface.

2) modify _tkinter to include the TkTable extension in the standard Tcl/Tk
manner - after initialising Tcl & Tk, initialise TkTable.  This will be in
the module initialisaton code in _tkinter.c.  You still need to use
Tkinter's call interface to drive the widget.

#1 seems the most favourable course to me.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre at aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
        andymac at pcug.org.au           (play2) |        Australia