Is this a true statement?

David C. Ullrich ullrich at math.okstate.edu
Mon Jun 25 10:06:33 EDT 2001

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 00:38:46 GMT, grante at visi.com (Grant Edwards)
wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 13:22:46 GMT, David C. Ullrich <ullrich at math.okstate.edu> wrote:
>>On 23 Jun 2001 18:42:20 GMT, David LeBlanc <whisper at oz.nospamnet>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>In article <3b34939b.410758 at nntp.sprynet.com>, ullrich at math.okstate.edu
>>>says...
>>>>
>>[...]
>>>>
>>>The reason why you can't write a device driver in pure Python
>>>is simple: a device driver requires the ability to read to and
>>>write from specific pre-determined locations in the processor's
>>>memory and/or I/O space.
>>
>>Yes, a device driver has to do this. But I don't see why a
>>program that _writes_ a device driver has to do these things.
>
>Nobody is arging that you can't write a Python program that
>generates a sequence of bytes in a file that can be used as a
>device driver by some particular OS.  You don't seriously think
>that anybody is interested in doing this do you?

Of course not. The question at the top of the thread was whether
it is true or false that Python can do anything that C can do,
just slower. Do _you_ seriously think that anyone is interested
in using Python as a _universal_ replacement for C? Presumably not.
So what does the thread have to do with what people are
actually interested in doing?

>Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  PARDON me, am I
>                                  at               speaking ENGLISH?
>                               visi.com

David C. Ullrich