Is this a true statement?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sun Jun 24 20:38:46 EDT 2001

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 13:22:46 GMT, David C. Ullrich <ullrich at math.okstate.edu> wrote:
>On 23 Jun 2001 18:42:20 GMT, David LeBlanc <whisper at oz.nospamnet>
>wrote:
>
>>In article <3b34939b.410758 at nntp.sprynet.com>, ullrich at math.okstate.edu
>>says...
>>> On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:47:23 -0400 (EDT), "Steven D. Majewski"
>>> <sdm7g at Virginia.EDU> wrote:
>>>
>[...]
>>>
>>The reason why you can't write a device driver in pure Python
>>is simple: a device driver requires the ability to read to and
>>write from specific pre-determined locations in the processor's
>>memory and/or I/O space.
>
>Yes, a device driver has to do this. But I don't see why a
>program that _writes_ a device driver has to do these things.

Nobody is arging that you can't write a Python program that
generates a sequence of bytes in a file that can be used as a
device driver by some particular OS.  You don't seriously think
that anybody is interested in doing this do you?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  PARDON me, am I
                                  at               speaking ENGLISH?