Help for Python newbie

Greg Jorgensen gregj at pobox.com
Tue Jun 12 05:30:09 EDT 2001

You can use the join function from the string module like this:

>>> import string
>>> mylist = ['1', '2', '3']
>>> mystring = string.join(mylist, '\t')
>>> mystring
'1\t2\t3'

Or you can use the string type's join method. The trick is to remember that
join is a method of the string, not of the list:

>>> mystring = '\t'.join(mylist)
>>> mystring
'1\t2\t3'

This may be clearer: