Help for Python newbie

Bob Hibberdine bob.hibberdine at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 12 05:01:34 EDT 2001

Hi,

Any help with the following much appreciated.

I want to convert a list of items into a tab separated string. According the
Python manuals I can use join:

I quote from the manual:

join (words[, sep])
    Concatenate a list or tuple of words with intervening occurrences of
sep. The default value of sep is a single space character......

here's the output from the interpreter:

PythonWin 2.0 (#8, Mar  7 2001, 16:04:37) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32.
Portions Copyright 1994-2001 Mark Hammond (MarkH at ActiveState.com) - see
'Help/About PythonWin' for further copyright information.

>>> import string
>>> mylist = ['1','2','3']
>>> mystring = ''
>>> mystring = mystring.join(mylist)
>>> print mystring
123

note there is no space between the items.

Now, I try to use join as I want, I get:

>>> mystring = mystring.join(mylist,'\t')
Traceback (innermost last):
TypeError: join requires exactly 1 argument; 2 given

I got my python  form ActiveState and am working on Win98.

Thanks in advance.
Bob Hibberdine