Comprehensive Python Archive Network

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Tue Jun 19 07:56:19 EDT 2001

Wartan Hachaturow wrote:

> Hello, everybody.
>
> Yes, yes, I know I'm not the first to post with such a subject :)
> But maybe we should write such a thing for the benefit of everyone,
> and cut off one of the strongest Perler's argument against Python?

There are plans to work into this direction and some progress
has already been made, e.g. Python's distutils enable easy
installation of Python Add-ons, ActiveState's .ppm archive is
very close to a CPAN for Python and there are other tools on
the way.

The basic building blocks are all readily available, what missing
now is infrastructure to get the ball rolling and then some
standard tools in the Python core which allow to download, compile
and install Python extensions with the same ease as Perl's CPAN
module.

AFAIK, ActiveState will contribute its PPM tools back to Python,
so those may become what we all have been dreaming of the last
few years ;-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH