infinite precision (was Re: Against PEP 240)

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Fri Jun 1 12:58:13 EDT 2001

[posted & e-mailed]

First of all, let me apologize.  My original comment was intended to be
teasing, and I'm sorry this has descended into heavy-handedness.

In article <9f5lrt026g6 at enews2.newsguy.com>,
Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
>Aahz:
>>
>> The dictionary definitions don't represent the standard distinctions
>> used in CS.
>
>Can you back up this bold assertion with quotes supporting
>your contention that (if I get you right?) "infinite precision"
>means nothing attainable on a (necessarily finite) computer
>while "unbounded precision" means something attainable?  I
>have quite a few counter-examples, such as:
>
>  [snippety-doo-dah]

Well, I guess you're right.  It's not what I was taught in my CS
program, but I can't argue with the weight of publications you found.
It still doesn't feel right to me, though.

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het Pythonista   http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"Characters exist to suffer, you know.  An author needs a little sadism
in her makeup."  --Brenda Clough