Standalone .exe's using installer/builder question

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Thu Jun 21 16:34:46 EDT 2001

Cameron Laird wrote:

>In article <90C76054Egmcmhypernetcom at 199.171.54.155>,
>Gordon McMillan <gmcm at hypernet.com> wrote:

>>>C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\temp\Standalone.py test.py -tk
>>>
>>>anyideas???
>>
>>Yes. Due to a Windows problem, you have to say:
>>
>>python C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\temp\Standalone.py test.py -tk
>>^^^^^^
>>
>>or the command line args don't make it to Standalone.py.

>Let me be sure I understand:  it's not a "problem" in the
>sense that there is a fault specific to the installer or
>Python that anyone expects to change, right?  Windows is
>*designed* in such a way that natural installations, in
>effect, discard command-line arguments--correct?

I'm not sure I *understand* any better than you :-). Especially
when I misspoke on this one...

[BTW, in private email, I got the actual error messages,
and was able to straighten things out. Knowing things like
what OS, and the actual errors encountered helps a whole lot.]

It appears that when you use file associations, various
operations are done at a higher level than they need to be.
The big screw up is redirection. If you manage to convince
Windows that .py files are executable, things work more
reasonably.

>Incidentally, I believe there's a tweak we can make to the
>Windows installation (basically, complexifying some of the
>data inserted in the Registry) to allow such shortcuts to
>work as those of us coming from Unix expect.  I've never
>pursued it, out of fear for what could go wrong once we
>get intimate with the Registry.

Actually, it's on (other peoples') Unixen that I learned to
type everything out. Uncooperative cshell bigots for sys-admins,
and all that.

- Gordon