Please statement (Re: Is this a true statement?)

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Jun 25 23:56:13 EDT 2001

"Steven D. Majewski" wrote:

> ( And I DO wish more languages had adopted Intercal's "Please"
>   statement -- it would make programs so much nicer to read! )

I can even think of a use for it in Python. Some
people feel that it would be useful to have some
sort of "directive" or "pragma" statement for
specifying compile-time options.

Calling it "please" would be a nice way of
conveying that the implementation is free to
honour it or not, as is convenient.

e.g.

  please:
    call_del_methods_when_collecting_cycles
    optimise_integer_variables
    declare_generators_using_keyword("generator") # :-)

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg