best language for 3D manipulation over web ?

Andrea Griffini agriff at tin.it
Wed Jun 6 01:52:55 EDT 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 16:35:35 +0200, "Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Windows/NT didn't -- it's a completely different system, and its
>chief architect was the same guy who had chief-architected VMS for
>DEC.  In fact I find in it many of the things I disliked in VMS,
>although at least it's simpler:-).  But, like VMS (and Unix of
>all sorts, and the IBM OS's, ...), it IS a real operating system.

I don't know about the system internals... those may be OK; but
from some level UP even Windows NT seems to me to some degree
thought to be surely multiprocess but not multiuser (at least
not with the same meaning as with unix).
I remember for example the funky case of a WEB server (an NT
service running in background) that istantly changed the locale
used to format and read dates/numbers in ASP scripting just
because a user with a different locale logged in (!!!!).

Even the missing of a user home directory is quite shining;
not to mention that until last releases there was no support
for having several users interactively connected to the system.

So may be that internally NT was built with the right low-level
mindset for getting a secure multiuser system... (nothing near
DOS and Win9x/ME) but surely it didn't grow up that way.

Also in NT its extremely simple to make the system crawl and die
if you get to execute "malicious" code even with simple user
privileges. Sometimes just executing unintentionally bad written
code. I know many ISPs that use *x that will allow customers to
compile and run their C/C++ programs on the system... but no one
using that policy with NT.

Andrea
--
Andrea Griffini, Programmer