Meta: PEP discussion (was Re: PEP 255: Simple Generators)

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 20 18:46:56 EDT 2001

[Aahz writes:]
> In article <mailman.993057334.1570.python-list at python.org>,
> Paul Prescod  <paulp at ActiveState.com> wrote:
> >
> >We're discussing this issue on python-iterators. I think everyone
> >interested should head over there. I'd really like to discuss this but
> >I'm trying to follow the rules!
>
> While there's some logic here, it's not exactly convenient to subscribe
> to every mailing list under the sun each time a "critical" issue comes
> up.  While I overall think Tim is right in removing python-dev from the
> list of venues for discussing PEP 255, I think that trying to place
> comp.lang.python (aka python-list) off-limits is a Bad Idea.

I don't understand the reasoning here.  I can see good reasons for arguing
either way about each of python-list and python-dev, assuming that it makes
sense to spin off specialized lists for each new topic.  It makes the most
sense to me to include python-dev, because it's the advice-to-Guido-list and
because most or all of the core developers subscribe to it.  It seems that
list is the most obvious place to discuss changes to the core language --
and it really irks me that conversations about the core are artificially
move elsewhere.  (Counterexample: Maybe we could take all the Unicode stuff
and ban it from python-dev <0.9 wink>.)

What if PEP NNN concerned issues intimately related to the compile.c and the
person most familiar with compile.c was not subscribed to the list for that
PEP?  We could end up missing valuable input from the people most qualified
to comment.  If the discussion occurs on python-dev, then it's much harder
to miss useful input.

> I suggest that if PEP authors really wish to move discussion to separate
> mailing lists that the PEP guidelines should be modified to encourage
> inclusion of instructions for subscribing to the mailing list(s).

My problem isn't with learning how to subscribe to a new list; it's managing
the accounts for the dozens of lists I have to subscribe to and read just to
keep track of Python development.  If I happen to be on vacation (or, say,
paternity leave) when a new list is created, I may end up missing more of
the discussion because I didn't subscribe in time.

Jeremy