PEP scepticism

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Sat Jun 30 21:12:09 EDT 2001

Carlos Ribeiro <cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br> wrote:
> At 12:53 30/06/01 +0000, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>So let's all do what we do best: the core developers (e.g. PythonLabs)
>>improve the language, and the community improves the library.

> If you say so it's better for us all to listen <wink>. Anyway I would like
> to make a distiction concerning PythonLabs work. You are not only
> responsible by the language development, but you also define the reference
> distribution. Improvements on the library - either by coding new modules or
> optimizing existing ones - may be made by the community, as you said, but
> that's not any good if these modules don't make it to the standard
> distribution.

Ah, just wrote my own reply making a similar point. You make some specific
suggestions, good.

> So I believe that PythonLabs should at least consider doing three things:

> - Define clearly what goes and what does not go into the standard library.
[snip]

> - Help track the module development process.
[snip]

> - Compile the standard modules for all supported platforms.
[snip]

And as I suggested in my post, if standard library development is indeed
not part of the primary sets of interests of the core developers, perhaps
it would be good to set up an semi-formal group that *does* treat this
as their 'core business' (manage core library development and perhaps
even independent releases) A library-SIG, perhaps? Though I'm likely
not reading Guido correctly and running way ahead of myself.

In general, the idea is that perhaps we don't have hundreds of Adrew
Kuchlings (to quote Tim) is because there is no place or group to attract
them. A bit of a chicken and egg problem, of course. :)

(apologies to Andrew :)

Regards,

Martijn