Python 2.0 and wxPython 2.0

Robin Dunn robin at stop.spam.alldunn.com
Mon Jun 18 21:15:00 EDT 2001

"Doug Farrell" <writeson at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:C%fX6.14660$Kq4.1461586 at newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net...
> Hi all, I have Mandrake 8.0 installed on my system and I'm a little
> confused. I went to try and install wxPython (which I downloaded from the
> website) and the system tells me it's already installed, which is great!
> However, I downloaded the demo and I can't seem to run any thing there.
Does
> anyone know what's going on and how I might fix this? I'm a relative linux
> newbie... <g>

The RPMs for wxPython were built on a system in which Python 2.0 was
installed under /usr/local.  IIRC, the Python 2.0 packages that are
available for Mandrake 8.0 install under /usr, so wxPython ends up being
installed in a place that Python is not looking.

There are a few possible solutions for you.

1. Set an environment varaibale named PYTHONPATH to
/usr/local/lib/python2.0/site-packages

2. Move or link /usr/local/lib/python2.0/site-packages/wxPython to
/usr/lib/python2.0/site-packages/wxPython

3. Get the wxPython source RPM and rebuild it on your system.  It will use
your installed Python as part of the build process and will then get the
paths right.  If you do this you'll also need the wxGTK-devel RPM installed.

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman