PEP scepticism

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Fri Jun 29 09:07:15 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.org>
> Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> writes:
>
> > No it isn't.  Adding language features does not improve the confusing
> > and incomplete MIME modules currently in the standard library.
>
> Barry Warsaw is working on mimelib (http://mimelib.sourceforge.net/)
> and I expect that this will be added to the 2.2 CVS tree soon!

That's good news!

<hack hack>

> > My point is that users are not currently saying "Gosh, Python
> > doesn't have generators, so I won't use it."  They're saying "Wow,
> > there's a lot of useful libraries for Java; I'd better use it to be
> > able to use them."
>
> Point taken.

I'll second this motion.  List comprehensions, iterators, generators, etc.
are all cool, but frankly I stopped *needing* new language features around
1.5.2 to 2.0, and most of the Python I write will run in 1.5.2 just fine.

On the other hand, I'm always happy to find a Python module to do something
for me so I don't have to, and I spend considerable time looking for them...