PEP 260: simplify xrange()

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Wed Jun 27 06:12:05 EDT 2001

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Andrew Dalke wrote:

>Uncle Tim:
>>> although-it-would-be-impolite-to-ask-we-why-still-ship-a-directory-
>>>     full-of-crufty-old-irix5-demos-in-the-std-library<wink>-ly
>
>James Logajan:
>>Perhaps because the Irix community would be quite Irate if they were
>>removed?
>
>As an ex-member of the Irix community, I never used those
>modules because I knew my code needed to run under non-IRIX
>platforms.  Let them be deprecated.
>
>As a double check, I did a google search for
>   +"import al" +def

Interesting. This method assumes that source code must be in open form on
the web: google doesn't look into (even) gz archives!

Not mentioning code which is developed for custom tasks
and interest nobody but it's authors to be put on the web!

*
On the other hand, it's interesting approach. For example, Linux kernel is
in webified forms (somewhere). If gcc people will want to remove, say,
scanf function, they will certainly find that Linux kernel uses it ;-)

May be we establish new policy for the PEP process, obliging authors of
the software written in Python to put (and update!!!) their code on the
web so everybody will see that such and such library is still used.

Then GvR just googles around to find out that, OK, xrange is not used
anywhere in the 3 month old code, so we should remove it from CVS.

And everbody is happy (it's a fault of those who failed to put
source code on the web in time ;-)

>The only hits related to Python were from Python itself
>(documentation or audiodev.py)
>
>No relevant hits from +"import fm" +def , except that there
>is a Mac Python module "import Fm".

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Wednesday, June 27, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/