Has anyone used UML?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at bt.com
Wed Jun 13 19:04:51 EDT 2001

David LeBlanc wrote:
> > Not true! Rumbaugh and then Jacobson specifically joined
> > Rational to create the UML. By the time they joined they
> > already recognised the need for a unifying language.
> wellll.... actually Rational bought both Rumbaugh's and Ivarson's
> companies and they came along with the sale.

Might be true of Jacobsen since he had left Ericsson by that
time  but I thought Jim R was still with GEC when he went to
Rational?

> From what I hear there is a good deal of not so cordial
> dislike between/among the "3 amigos"

I don't think they've ever claimed to be best buddies.
Several disagreements have been acknowledged in articles etc
But they all recognised that the method wars would do more harm
than good.

> For all the ado about UML, there seems to be few competitors to Rose,
I think that there are plenty now:

Together, Object Domain, iLogix etc...

But they are all complex tools doing a very complex job
so they cost lots. Best tool for small projects is
a tool like Visio, DIA, SmartDraw etc. IMHO

Alan G