Interesting speed benchmark

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Jun 5 23:32:21 EDT 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Pete Shinners wrote:

> "Mahesh Padmanabhan" <micronospampad at nospam.yahoo.com> wrote
> > in which the author does some (by his own admission) subjective
> > benchmarks between java and python. While most of it is usual
> > stuff, the one test that stood out was the following:

Well, that's me.

I suppose my little ranting essay has gone beyond its original intention.
I've been getting lots of email about it this week in particular, and this
post just underscores the need to rewrite it ;).

If you're interested, please email me suggestions as to how I can re-do
the comparison.  I think that the performance numbers are a bit contrived
and might not be a good approach to it, but I'd like to be heavy on code
examples and quantitative data, if possible.

> it's still a whole lot slower than the java version :[

I am still curious as to why this is.  It's not been an issue for me yet
(the one thing in Python that's irked me a little bit is the allocation
overhead for method calls, but even that hasn't been a serious problem),
but it seems odd that it should take so long.

                     @ t w i s t e d m a t r i x  . c o m
                     http://twistedmatrix.com/users/glyph