detecting idle processor

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Mon Jun 11 15:11:10 EDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 12:00:41AM -0700, Sorin Gherman wrote:
> How can I use Python to detect when the processor is idle?

You can run a process with low priority using 'nice', or obtain the
system load by parsing 'uptime'.  But, that's in Unix...

> Or when the network traffic is idle, for a given computer?

You can use 'pppstat' for PPP, but I am not sure about ethernet.

> I need this to implement a background program.

Easiest solution is 'nice'.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>
8 CPUs cluster, (Slackware) Linux, Python, LaTeX, Vim, Mutt, Sc.