Office's Access XP ODBC DBI from PythonWin

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Jun 14 08:18:39 EDT 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote ...
> "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote ...
> > Has the Win32 odbc module been updated at all since 2.0? I have a
feeling
> > you might find it less than satisfactory for extended use - I've
certainly
> > had problems myself.
>
> Hmmm, I did send you my partially-fixed version, yes...?

Yes. I've even installed a compiler so I can build myself a binary next time
I get home :-)

> > Unfortunately the dbi.dbiDate object has a null __doc__,but I notice the
> > dbi.py module requires mx.DateTime. Had you considered using mx.ODBC
> instead
> > of ODBC? If you don't plan commercial use it is free, and I can
certainly
> > recommend it for ease of use.
>
> Seconded.  But a minimally-working free odbc would still be
> a good thing IMHO.  Say I write utilities to be internally
> used here at work (commercial use by mx's terms).  As long
> as I run them on Windows only, I'm OK -- I can program to
> ADO and connect that to whatever DB engine.  But -- no funds
> for mxODBC for that use.  So -- no running my utilities on
> Linux boxes.  Notch one more black mark discouraging this
> spread of Linux boxes around here:-(.

Good plan. I've noticed that Unix isn't as liberally supplied with ODBC
dupport. I've tried to install both unixODBC and iODBC driver managers, and
both have problems on my Linux boxes. Cross-platform support has a ways to
go.

regards
 STeve