Extremely strange problem with httplib/urllib

Marcin Kasperski Marcin.Kasperski at softax.com.pl
Wed Jun 20 11:45:59 EDT 2001

Gustaf Liljegren wrote:

> Python 2.1 on Win98SE:
>
> I have got some experience with httplib and urllib by now, but suddenly
> both are causing "invalid page fault" errors in Windows. Here's all I need
> to do:
>
> import urllib
> f = urllib.urlopen('http://www.google.com')
>
> And the nasty error looks like this:
>
> PYTHON caused an invalid page fault in
> module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff7b992.
> (...)
>
> Also, if I write the above script in Idle or on the command line, this
> error don't appear. It's no first time problem -- I have used these modules
> extensively before. Any ideas?

Surely the page fault happens while some object is being destructed
(idle probably keeps some objects longer, so does command line). What
about taking a look at the httplib sources with special attention to
cleanup procedures?

Nevertheless, I would vote for some incompatibility between python and
Windows libraries (like strange winsock dll) or just physical memory or
disk error. But thats just an idea, I have never used python on Windows
9*...