RS232 support for DOS on 486?

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Thu Jun 7 14:27:30 EDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 09:57:29PM +0200, luthi at vaw.baug.pleasedontspamme.ethz.ch wrote:

| I wonder if someone has managed to use the serial port (RS232) with
| Python on a 486 with MS-DOS. I have to use a (old, rugged) 486 for
| data recording of a TEK-Scope and would like to customize the
| communication.

Does Python even run under MS-DOS?

| I am grateful for any advice

Install an advanced OS, such as Debian ;-), then using the serial port
becomes rather simple.  You would only need to use the termios module
to set the properties of the RS232 protocol (7bit, 8bit, parity,
non-partiy, stop bit, etc) then use reguler file IO to read/write to
the serial port (/dev/ttyS0).

-D