Changing the Division Operator -- PEP 238, rev 1.12

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jul 27 22:39:24 EDT 2001

David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com> writes:

> One question though - is it anticipated that the items in the Open
> section (e.g., the generation of OverflowError) need to be resolved as
> part of the PEP process, or will it be postponed until implementation
> and then the PEP adjusted?  I'm unlikely to be coding in cases
> affected by the decision, and see arguments on both sides, so I don't
> have a particular preference.

Generally, a PEP isn't finished until the implementation is done --
in the last stages of implementation, details of a PEP often get
corrected.  So the answer to your question is "Yes". :)

(For some PEPs, the PEP follows the implementation -- this seems to be
what's happening for type/class unification, where I'm always ahead of
the PEP in my code...)