doctest x idle problem?

Jon Schull jonschull at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 23:56:46 EDT 2001

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> wrote in message
> ...I have no idea why you're doing "Run Script" on doctest to begin
> with.  That's not a sensible thing to do -- doctest is a library module in
> 2.1, and you shouldn't need to load it into IDLE at all, let alone ever run
> it on itself.

Well, I was hoping to develop and test some modules within the idle
environment.  (I'm wondering how well IDLE serves as a primary
Interactive Development Environment.)

I ran into this "problem" (it's not unique to doctest) and thought I
was doing something wrong.  I figured doctest's use of docstrings for
testing would be exemplary, so I tried doctest.

In a way, doctest *was* exemplary...

But it seems that its going to be awkward to do interactive
development in IDLE of modules that employ doctest.  That seems a
shame; routine use of doctest and IDLE would be a good practice.