Python, C++, Java, Smalltalk, Eiffel,...

Michael Abbott michael at rcp.co.uk
Thu Jul 19 03:53:59 EDT 2001

"Donn Cave" <donn at u.washington.edu> wrote in message
news:9iv7ae$gs0$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu...
> One thing about this and other comparisons to be seen on the web,
> OCaml belongs on the list if only for its speed.
I also was encouraged by the presence of OCaml.  I'm troubled by the absence
of strong typing in Python, and it's good to see a strongly typed language
with comparable expressive strength.

I haven't yet tried writing anything in OCaml, but I'm anticipating being
let down by the library support in comparison with Python, particularly on
Win32!

> (And too bad that doesn't work for Erlang or Haskell.)
I'm also a fan of Haskell, but somehow the bar to practical application
seems that much higher...