Distributed computing using SOAP. What about speed ?

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Jul 26 03:21:02 EDT 2001

> Perhaps, but it all depends on what and how you sling your data around.
> Clearly, you can't efficiently pass and receive multi-megabyte data
> structures, but that would hold true for any distributed communication
> protocol.

My concern is rather with communicating many small requests, rather
than few large ones; in my experience, small requests is the common
case. Here, the overhead of an XML parser, plus the navigation through
the XML document, cost way more than the CORBA
marshalling/unmarshalling. Also, CORBA tends to produce smaller
requests on the wire to represent the same data, to a degree that not
even compression of a SOAP request helps.

Regards,
Martin