PEP0238 lament

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Wed Jul 25 15:48:51 EDT 2001

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:

> For less disturbing changes like nested scopes or generators (which
> would break only very small amounts of old code), we can introduce the
> new feature for real in the next release (e.g., nested scopes will be
> standard in 2.2, I expect generators will become standard in 2.3), but
> for devastatingly code-breaking changes like division, I'll wait until
> 3.0 before it becomes the law.

I wouldn't be consistent if I didn't at least suggest that making
nested scopes default behavior might also be a candidate for 3.0 - as
you mentioned in response to another post of mine, it's the other case
where once it becomes default, older code may silently execute
incorrectly as opposed to just breaking.  Perhaps that could be a
metric to use to gauge which incompatible features can be fully
activated in a 2.x series versus 3.0?

--
-- David