PEP0238 lament

John W. Baxter jwbaxter at spamcop.com
Thu Jul 26 01:13:02 EDT 2001

In article <cp8zhd9gm9.fsf at cj20424-a.reston1.va.home.com>, Guido van
Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion.  I think I'll do it this way: Python 3.x
> will be the first incompatible version, Python 2.x will require
> __future__ statements or other explicit ways to indicate that the
> programmer wants the new feature.
>
> For less disturbing changes like nested scopes or generators (which
> would break only very small amounts of old code), we can introduce the
> new feature for real in the next release (e.g., nested scopes will be
> standard in 2.2, I expect generators will become standard in 2.3), but
> for devastatingly code-breaking changes like division, I'll wait until
> 3.0 before it becomes the law.

Thank you, Guido...

I am quite content after reading that and some of your other comments.
I've been skipping much of the division discussion today, and reading
only your messages in some of the threads, like this one.

Yesterday, I was upset.  But the world seems different today.  Except
for the cat, who was sleeping on my other office chair last evening,
and is sleeping on my other office chair this evening.  I haven't been
able to get him at all interested in PEP238.

Cheers, John