COM: VB client, Python server: NULL result ...

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Jul 13 16:48:51 EDT 2001

On three separate systems I am experiencing the same problem trying to
create an Python COM object from VB. The VB satetement

    Set obj = CreateObject("Python.Dictionary")

(or any other Python COM object) gives the dreaded error 80004005, with the
message:

    Unexpected Python Error: exceptions.SystemError: NULL result without
error in call_object

No problem creating "Python.Interpreter", (not, of course, written in
Python) for example. So it doesn't appear to be a VB client problem.

A Python client can do what I'm trying to do in VB, using Dispatch, so the
COM object registration is at least half right (I'm using UseCommandLIne()
to register and de-register).

Seems I must have overlooked something dead obvious, so I'm hoping the
collective wisdom of c.l.py will quickly tell me what. Couldn't find
anything on ActiveState's site.

regards
 Steve
--