COM: VB client, Python server: NULL result ...

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Sun Jul 15 18:06:58 EDT 2001

Steve Holden wrote:

> On three separate systems I am experiencing the same problem trying to
> create an Python COM object from VB. The VB satetement
>
>     Set obj = CreateObject("Python.Dictionary")
>
> (or any other Python COM object) gives the dreaded error 80004005, with the
> message:
>
>     Unexpected Python Error: exceptions.SystemError: NULL result without
> error in call_object

If you are using a debug COM object, it may be a bug in win32trace.pyd -
this has been fixed in the latest ActivePython and win32all.  Creating
Python.Dictionary from WSH works fine for me.

Mark.