Future division patch available (PEP 238)

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Jul 22 14:40:10 EDT 2001

In message <E15ONUT-0003eX-00 at darjeeling>, Moshe Zadka
<moshez at zadka.site.co.il> writes
>On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Robin Becker <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>
>[about //]
>> it just looks awful as well as annoying those who don't want this
>> change.
>
>Any solution would have annoyed the other side, and one solution
>had to be taken.
>And no, "inertia" isn't an excuse. Python cannot be ruled by inertia,
>just as it cannot arbitrarily break backwards compat.

this is not backwards compatible. Logically the existing '/' behaviour
should be preserved. New behaviour requires the new operator. That would
be compatible. I agree with those that want python to be a good and
concise language. If American school kids believe 1+1=3 should that go
into python?
--
Robin Becker