How popular is Python, anyway? (was: Long Live Python!)

Rainy sill at optonline.net
Wed Jul 11 20:17:51 EDT 2001

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:26:02 +0100, phil hunt <philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:31:11 -0700, Paul Prescod <paulp at ActiveState.com> wrote:
>>Perl, Java and PHP all grew popular by solving a particular problem at a
>>particular time, better than any other language. (I'm thinking of system
>>administration/CGI, Applets and web page generation). Perl and Java grew
>>into general purpose languages over time. The jury is still out on PHP.
>
> Popularity as a langauge for open source projects can be measured
> by looking at Sourceforge's statistics.
>
> From http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=160
> we have these figures:
>
> C++      4078
> C        4889
> Java     2739
> Perl     2142
> PHP      1999
> Python    934
> Shell     439
> VB        390
> Tcl       326

If you just look at dice.com search results, it looks much worse for python:

perl hits: 3632
python hits: 142

python usage is only about 4% of perl usage!

These numbers only show relative popularity, though, often perl or python
are just mentioned as 'knowledge or scripting languages like perl,python,etc
is a plus).

I doubt I'll find a job using python any time soon. :/

get it at: http://silmarill.org/cymbaline