OO misconceptions // Learning curve geometry/

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jul 18 19:08:03 EDT 2001

rh cassel wrote:

> > Granted, Perl had the longest and steepest learning curve since C++ for
> > me.  But after grasping the concept of "context" and learning to use
> > Perl's m// and s/// operators to my advantage, I find I can just
> > accomplish more faster than with most other languages, even (so far)
> > with Python.
>
> Off topic but if one looks at the definition, a "steep" learning curve means
> quick and easy to learn. It is an accumulated knowledge versus time
> function.  The marketing folks have totally corrupted the meaning.

The truth of that statement depends more on whether you subscribe
to the philosophy that dictionaries (or in this case
some definition you found... the original or not) are *prescriptive*
or *descriptive*.

That is, I happen to use the term "steep learning curve" to mean
a learning curve that is very *difficult* to climb.  In other words,
when facing something with a steep learning curve one might make
very little progress for a long time.

I believe many, many others use the phrase in this "incorrect"
manner, and unfortunately I doubt pointing out the "correct"
usage will ever lead to many of us changing.  Sorry.

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com