OO misconceptions // Learning curve geometry/

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Thu Jul 19 06:06:19 EDT 2001

Me parece que rh cassel <rhcassel at yahoo.com> dijo:

> > Granted, Perl had the longest and steepest learning curve since C++ for
> > me.  But after grasping the concept of "context" and learning to use
> > Perl's m// and s/// operators to my advantage, I find I can just
> > accomplish more faster than with most other languages, even (so far)
> > with Python.
>
> Off topic but if one looks at the definition, a "steep" learning curve means
> quick and easy to learn. It is an accumulated knowledge versus time
> function.  The marketing folks have totally corrupted the meaning.
>
> Here is a nice reference.
> http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/stories/0,1199,NAV63-1356_STO61762,00.html

I have looked at the definition you mention, but here is _my_
definition, as defended by many I know, at least a couple of which are
in this thread.

Since we are learning, we start with a knowledge value of zero (on
y-axis).  As we assume we are just starting to learn, our time value is
also 0 (on x-axis).  Therefore, our starting point in the graph is
(appropriately) the origin (0,0).

The more about a given subject we need to learn, the farther up the
y-axis we must traverse.  As the time we are given is limited (if
nothing else, by our lifespans) this leads to a steeper curve than if
there were less knowledge to gain.

Given the fact that the subject currently is Perl, there are _MANY_
concepts to grasp (curse-characters & what they mean; context; built-in
global vars; flexible control structures; et al), giving us a "high"
hill to "climb."  Since the quicker you learn it, the better certain job
prospects might be (if no other motivation exists), this shortens the
time span to well under a life span, further squeezing our vector on the
x axis.

A mostly-joking example:

Perl learning curve
+       ____________/
+      /
+     /
+    /
+   /
+  /
+ /
+/
+---+---+---+---+---+

HTML learning curve
+
+
+
+
+
+
+/

In the words of Dennis Miller:
"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong."
<wink>

--
Is there any person in the world who does not dream?
Who does not contain within them worlds unimagined?