OO misconceptions

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Tue Jul 17 16:07:10 EDT 2001

Me parece que Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> dijo:
> Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> In this case, more than anything else, the driving factor was
> the easy ability to wrap third-party DLLs (e.g. for a GPIB
> interface card) with calldll and make a beautiful object-oriented
> wrapper to talk to instruments on the bus.  I knew I would
> be able to make a maintainable and flexible system which
> newcomers (new developers that is) could learn to use easily
> and continue growing.  At the time, putting a Tkinter
> interface on it quickly was an attractive option, although
> I've since halted work on that development path until we
> have time to retool around the web paradigm instead...

On this matter, we'd have both been reaching for Python.  I've done
(makeshift) OO in Perl and it was both shoddy and slow.

Python makes OO wrappers elegant and simple.

--
You're quite free to convert your strings to byte arrays and do the
entire pattern tree by hand in pure logic code if you'd like. By the