OO misconceptions

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Jul 17 09:19:41 EDT 2001

Tim Hammerquist wrote:

> > Perl, in this case (factory automation) would
> > definitely *not* have been a better choice, even in your estimation.
>
> Fair enough.  =)   Python does sound like a good choice in this case,
> despite Perl's strength in sockets.

In this case, more than anything else, the driving factor was
the easy ability to wrap third-party DLLs (e.g. for a GPIB
interface card) with calldll and make a beautiful object-oriented
wrapper to talk to instruments on the bus.  I knew I would
be able to make a maintainable and flexible system which
newcomers (new developers that is) could learn to use easily
and continue growing.  At the time, putting a Tkinter
interface on it quickly was an attractive option, although
I've since halted work on that development path until we
have time to retool around the web paradigm instead...

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com