OO misconceptions

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Jul 16 23:38:33 EDT 2001

Tim Hammerquist wrote:

> > Nevertheless, I feel compelled to say that I believe there may be
> > applications for which Perl is the better language,
[...]
> > Any other application, and I would probably say Python was a
> > better choice...
>
> This is where our opinions (on both languages) differ, and where we
> might as well agree to disagree?

Well, I'm going to have to sit on the fence on that one.  :)

(Actually, when I started posting the other message, my intention
was to admit that I had hardly even tried to learn and apply Perl.
I consider myself fortunate to have discovered Python just when
I was considering Perl for an application which required a
scripting language.  Perl, in this case (factory automation) would
definitely *not* have been a better choice, even in your estimation.
I've used a wide enough variety of languages, however, to know that
it just wouldn't work for me.  I _do_ have an open mind about it,
but that doesn't stop me proselytizing about Python. :-)