OO misconceptions

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Mon Jul 16 22:43:34 EDT 2001

Me parece que Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> dijo:
> Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> > My only regret is that so many people in this NG are so violently
> > anti-Perl.  I always thought that if someone as cynical, stubborn, and
> > arrogant as I am can love both languages, anybody could.
>
> I wouldn't have said "violently".  That is to say, I haven't actually
> *killed* anyone for using Perl... yet.

* runs screaming * AAAAGH!

> And I consider my cynicism, stubbornness, and arrogance to be right
> up there with the best of them.  (In fact, my absolutely _unparalleled_
> arrogance is _certain_ to be my own downfall, and _nothing_ you could
> say would convince me otherwise. ;-)

I make it a point never to argue the existence of hubris.  ;)

> Nevertheless, I feel compelled to say that I believe there may be
> applications for which Perl is the better language, but I'm fairly
> sure (a) I'd have an argument against _almost_ any example proposed,
> and (b) the few I might not argue against would likely be "better in
> Perl" only because of some ugly situation such as maintaining
> compatibility with a legacy system, supported by programmers who
> know only Perl and don't want to change, and an application already
> working and therefore not in need of maintenance of any kind.
>
> Any other application, and I would probably say Python was a
> better choice...

This is where our opinions (on both languages) differ, and where we
might as well agree to disagree?

> > My apologies to the group at large.
> > Tim Hammerquist
> This group is scary in its degree of both tolerance and forgiveness.
> (Hey, they even let me stay here.. so far. :)

I am grateful for this.

--
The iMac comes in five colors. Who cares from a technical
standpoint? But they're obviously selling like crazy...