license suggestions?

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Jul 8 21:18:23 EDT 2001

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001 17:39:45 -0500 (CDT), Chris Watson <chris at voodooland.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Neil Macneale wrote:
>
>> I am wondering if there is a straight forward license which I can use for
>> python code I plan to distribute.  Is there a standard header, or
>> possibly a link that can be placed in a header which basically says that
>> people use the code at there own risk, and that they are free to change
>> it?  I ask here because I know there has been conflict between python and
>> GPL.  Is there some vanilla header that people in this group use?
>
>This is what I use.

What software do you publish under this license?

>#  1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>#     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>#  2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>#     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>#  3. No changes are made to this license and/or additional terms of use
>#     are placed without prior written permission from Chris Watson.

Say you write a program, B, under this license.

I then make some modifications to B, creating MB. I license my modifications
under the GPL.

B is still your license.

But anyone wanting to link code to MB must GPL it.

How does this differ from if B was licensed under the regular BSDL?

--
## Philip Hunt ## philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk ##