license suggestions?

Chris Watson chris at voodooland.net
Sun Jul 8 18:39:45 EDT 2001

On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Neil Macneale wrote:

> I am wondering if there is a straight forward license which I can use for
> python code I plan to distribute.  Is there a standard header, or
> possibly a link that can be placed in a header which basically says that
> people use the code at there own risk, and that they are free to change
> it?  I ask here because I know there has been conflict between python and
> GPL.  Is there some vanilla header that people in this group use?

This is what I use. A standard 2 clause (clause 1 and 2) FreeBSD style
copyright but with my own clause 3 to PREVENT people from GPL'ing my code
and thereby RESTRICTING its useage. I call it the static BSD License. Once
it's BSDL'ed it can't be made any less free. It's the closest thing to
public domain you can get yet still cover you A$$ from liability, and the
like. It keeps the code BSDL'ed and prevents someone from GPL'ing it
basically. If a company wanted to license it differently I would have ZERO
problem letting them license it for their own needs whatever that may be.
I just REFUSE to let the code be GPL'ed. Hence clause 3.

# Copyright 2001 Chris Watson (scanner at jurai.net).  All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
# met:
#
#  1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
#     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
#  2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
#     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
#  3. No changes are made to this license and/or additional terms of use
#     are placed without prior written permission from Chris Watson.
#
# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY CHRIS WATSON ``AS IS'' AND ANY
# EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
# IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A  PARTICULAR
# PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL CHRIS WATSON OR CONTRIBUTORS
# BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT,  INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
# CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
# SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
# INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY  THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
# CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
# ARISING IN  ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF
# THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.