Is Python Dead?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Jul 5 11:29:46 EDT 2001

news:458b194a.0107050711.72007607 at posting.google.com...
news:<MNS%6.355$Xs4.225014 at news.pacbell.net>...
> > I have been following Python for five years now, and I am still just as
> > frustrated with it as I was in 1996.
> >
> > Python still doesn't have good database support,
>
> I, too, have been following Python since 1996, waiting all the while
> to make it easy for me to do database programming. What I'd call good
> database support is where I download a file or set of files into a
> directory under my Python directory, perhaps run an install program,
> then start Python, import a package, issue a command to connect to
> Oracle, and start playing around with the scott/tiger database. I
> don't want, nor do I have the time, to compile anything, nor muck
> around with the Windows registry, nor manually set paths -- I just
> want to try the product, not install it for production use. Ideally,
> I'd like the IDE to do this for me. I'm a database programmer, and I
> want to write applications right away. I'm also lazy and I expect much
> from my tools.

Of course, one of the reasons why support isn't better is the huge ratio of
consumers to producers. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but most of the
best parts of Python have been the results of individuals providing what
they needed for their own purposes and then opening up the resulting code.

Continue to sit on your hands by all means. What you need should be along in
another five years or so. But simply posting to complain that things aren't
as you want is unlikely to change in the next six months what nothing else
has changed in the last five years.

There are lots of people doing much good database work with Python. The
mxODBC package (free for non-commerical use) and the cx_Oracle package
(free) do indeed let you do what you describe (i.e. download, unpack, run an
install script and connect to a database). So I suggest you look a little
harder and complain a little less. Normally I try to include URLs in
postings such as this, but you know, somehow I get the impression that
clicking on a link in a news posting might just be too much trouble ;-)

Come on in, the water's lovely.

regards
 Steve
--