Is Python Dead?

Resty Cena rcena at epcor.ca
Thu Jul 5 11:11:48 EDT 2001

"Edward B. Wilson II" <ed at ewilson.com> wrote in message news:<MNS%6.355$Xs4.225014 at news.pacbell.net>...
> I have been following Python for five years now, and I am still just as
> frustrated with it as I was in 1996.
>
> Python still doesn't have good database support,

I, too, have been following Python since 1996, waiting all the while
to make it easy for me to do database programming. What I'd call good
database support is where I download a file or set of files into a
directory under my Python directory, perhaps run an install program,
then start Python, import a package, issue a command to connect to
Oracle, and start playing around with the scott/tiger database. I
don't want, nor do I have the time, to compile anything, nor muck
around with the Windows registry, nor manually set paths -- I just
want to try the product, not install it for production use. Ideally,
I'd like the IDE to do this for me. I'm a database programmer, and I
want to write applications right away. I'm also lazy and I expect much
from my tools.