Python: Database to Web Part II

Edward Wilson web2ed at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 6 12:20:03 EDT 2001

To the Snake's Den:

This is a continuation to an earlier post "Is Python Dead".  Perhaps
my previous title was a bit loud and over the top.  In response to
being accused a Troll, I want to say that this has been a serious plea
for help.  I would rather eat Spam than be a Troll.

I have been hoping that someone else would write Oracle, DB2, and SQL
Server drivers/modules for Python, so I wouldn't have to.  Mostly
because I haven't had time, and also because such an undertaking is
better suited for a group with a formal review board rather than an
individual code Maverick.

I have come to the harsh reality that 90% of the developers who use
Python are advanced developers doing mostly scientific research.  I
guess I am jealous that most of you get to work with Python, on a
daily basis, while the rest of us are relegated to using slave's
tools.

Unless I go back to school, and take up academic research, I will not
be using Python, unless I take two years off, working alone, to add
the necessary database support which Python lacks.  I understand that
most of you geniuses can hit databases for storing your scientific
data, however, I write applications which save peoples life's-public
safety systems.  I can't possibly use "EXPERIMENTAL" code in my day to
day work.  If something goes wrong with my code, I lose my job, and if
it can be shown that I used experimental code downloaded from the
Internet, I could be charged with criminal negligence.

Python is too good of a language to hoard in the laboratory.  Python
could make both programmers and end-users life's so much better if it
only had a "FEW" additional features.  I think it is a shame that
Python is only used for advanced-scientific-computing tasks.  I know
that as a representative of the business community, I have a small
voice among scientists.  However, surely the scientists among you,
long to proliferate Python to the masses; to share your talents and
achievements with the non-scientific world.

I dare say, that Python would smash Java, Perl, Visual Basic, and any
other new age tool (C/C++ dodgers) if it only had certifiable database
support on par with that of JDBC.  This is not to say that JPython, or
whatever it is now called, is an alternative.  I need C based
Python--I need SPEED.  I need to be able to hook into other C/C++
code.  Until Java drops the VM fantasy, and starts compiling to
native, it will never out pace what C-Python has to offer.

I pray to the Python Gods "please bless us with a Python JDBC
counterpart" and all in the world will be in balance.

Thank you for all of your comments, I will surely give Zope a whirl,
this may be the opportunity I have been waiting for

--zERO.