xmlrpc via proxy

abulka at netspace.net.au abulka at netspace.net.au
Tue Jul 31 02:48:06 EDT 2001

Thanks Jeff, for the url to your proxy code - this code happens to be the code
I was adapting !
Your code works OK for
  betty = Server("http://betty.userland.com", transport=UrllibTransport())
but fails for
  meerkatsvr = Server("http://www.oreillynet.com/meerkat/xml-rpc/server.php",
transport=UrllibTransport())

giving the following exception

Traceback (innermost last)
  File "c:\\xmlrpc work\python xmlrpc server\andyrpc1.py", line 40, in ?
    print meerkatsvr.system.listMethods()
Fault: <Fault 103: 'XML error: no element found at line 1'>

I am also getting a similar error message attempting to communicate
with 'http://xmlrpc-c.sourceforge.net/api/sample.php' as per the python example
at XML-RPC HOWTO at http://xmlrpc-c.sourceforge.net/xmlrpc-howto/xmlrpc-howto-
python-client.html

Thus it seems your code works ok for http://betty.userland.com but not for the
other two ?  Here is the code for your xmlrpc_urllib_transport.py  with a
couple of extra lines which is me attempting to talk to meerkatsvr.

Any further thoughts by you or anyone else would be appreciated!

import xmlrpclib
class UrllibTransport(xmlrpclib.Transport):
	'''Handles an HTTP transaction to an XML-RPC server via urllib
	(urllib includes proxy-server support)
	jjk  07/02/99'''

	def request(self, host, handler, request_body):
		'''issue XML-RPC request
		jjk  07/02/99'''
		import urllib
		# ANDY added his proxy as parameter to urllib.FancyURLopener()
		urlopener = urllib.FancyURLopener( {'http' : 'www-
proxy.BLAH.au:8080' } )
		urlopener.addheaders = [('User-agent', self.user_agent)]
		# probably should use appropriate 'join' methods instead
of 'http://'+host+handler
		f = urlopener.open('http://'+host+handler, request_body)
		return(self.parse_response(f))

from xmlrpc_urllib_transport import UrllibTransport
from xmlrpclib import Server
betty = Server("http://betty.userland.com", transport=UrllibTransport())
print betty.examples.getStateName(41)    # WORKS OK

# ANDY added extra code to talk to meerkatsvr
from pprint import pprint
meerkatsvr = Server("http://www.oreillynet.com/meerkat/xml-rpc/server.php",
transport=UrllibTransport())
print "Now attempting to communicate with meerkat server"
print meerkatsvr.system.listMethods()    # EXCEPTION RASIED - why?

- Andy