PEP0238 lament

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Jul 24 22:41:12 EDT 2001

Stephen Horne wrote:
> I cannot believe I am the only person who has gone out on a limb
> advocating Python and who is now going to end up looking a right arse.

I expect to look somewhat arse-like, but I also believe that
a sufficiently long time before this proposed change becomes
the default will allow time to spread the arse-likeness out
a little and maybe even hide it completely.

> The only one shouting so much ATM, maybe ;-)

You probably do need to take a day off, if nothing else to
rest your mind and fingers a little and come back with
a fresh view.

(I happen to appreciate your focus on this, though, in case
you thought you were entirely alone.  I also happen to
believe there is room for some further "negotiation"
before a final plan is settled on which definitely breaks
code.  Maybe two operators, and in any case at least
much further consideration of backwards compatibility
options and so on.)

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com