PEP0238 lament

Stephen Horne steve at lurking.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 00:22:52 EDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 21:08:19 -0400, "Arthur Siegel"
<ajs at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Will I have any problem with // and / - using them appropriately
>
>Doubt it.

For new code, certainly.

>Can I handle case sensitivity any way you give it to me.
>
>Cake.

I really think this is only going to cause minor problems - it's the
kind of thing that sounds worse than it is. Even in case sensitive
languages, defining same-bar-the-case identifiers is normally
considered confusing and just plain bad anyway.

>Why is two years of discussion going on as if someone like
>myself is not fully representative.  I simply have no reason
>to believe I am not.  And will scrutinize carefully any evidence
>which contends otherwise.

I cannot believe I am the only person who has gone out on a limb
advocating Python and who is now going to end up looking a right arse.

The only one shouting so much ATM, maybe ;-)

As for two years of discussion - I wish I'd noticed it then, not now,
but that ain't what happened.

>Will Python be a better language after it is done.  I don't have a
>good basis to disagree with that assertion.

Same here - but there is definite cause for serious doubt.